“…the Negro has set out to absorb Western arts. What he has not understood is that culture cannot be put on from the outside. A certain artificial grace may be achieved by such means, but only at the cost of strangling the natural creative impulses. That is too big a price to pay…”
– Paul Robeson, Actor and Activist
Robey’s mission is to foster a community of artists whose purpose is to write, develop and produce plays about the global Black experience.
Pursuant to The Robey Theatre Company’s grand plans for celebrating our 25th anniversary next year, the October 2018 edition of The Robey Connect features three articles:
- an overview of Robey’s three major productions slated for next year;
- a status report on our fund-development efforts; and
- a profile of one of Robey’s stalwart supporters, Akosua Hobert-Pierce. We’re on track for a glorious celebration of theater next year. Thanks for hopping aboard!
- Director’s Chair: A message from Ben Guillory
Emboldened by community support, The Robey Theatre Company will celebrate its 25th anniversary next year with three major productions. Read More…
- The Robey Theatre Company Fundraising Campaign:
Update Thanks to your generous donations, we have raised $30,000 toward our $130,000 goal! Read More…
- Producers’ Round Table
Meet Robey supporter, Akosua Hobert-Pierce